°Ô½Ã¹° 354°Ç

interview to Prof. Rodowick
±Û¾´ÀÌ : master ³¯Â¥ : 2012-12-20 (¸ñ) 22:06 Á¶È¸ : 776

¡°My main goal is not actually to give them knowledge,

My main goal is to give them more confidence.¡±

President Shin Kwang Yul, Interview to Professor Anne Rodowick

At Inha University, Incheon  on Dec 01, 2012

Prof. Rodowich is 15 years living in the country,

.According to her, she doesn¡¯t like in a big cities. Like New York City, because it¡¯s too noise.

She always greets people even she doesn¡¯t know the names, That is why its kind a shocking when she live in Korea because the people are afraid to greet her. She guest it¡¯s a Korean tradition that people doesn¡¯t want to say ¡°hi or hello¡±.

She strongly said ¡°I mean saying hi is enough. It is some kind of a human relationship.¡±

She shared to us her experience in the subway ¡°Koreans don¡¯t look at you into your eyes. I don¡¯t know maybe it¡¯s also a Korean culture¡± she said.

Adding, Some Koreans doesn¡¯t treasure about their culture. Because they copy in the west. Sometimes copy is a little bit unworthy. I mean, the hip hop or rock music. They are just copying, its not really worthy.

Her advice to learn English.

Actually the traditional Asian style Education that should be memorizing could be effective for Mathematics or Science where principles and laws will not change. But in the case of Language is continuously changing. It changes that the moment I actually talking with you and talking to others. Because the relationship is too different. There are different ways to talking to different people. The different topics that come out require different vocabulary.  In terms of Language, its not effective, and I can see that. When I have students coming in my class. And they been to Elementary, Middle school, high school they can even say ¡° hello im¡¦. From¡¦¡± they can not introduced them selves in 3 continous sentences. Why is that? Because they are still stumbling with over basic things.

So its time to change the method of teaching.

if the students are not being talk in the classroom then the teacher would say ¡°ok please memorize it and next week we will have examination¡±. For me this is not helpful.

There are a lot of kids who have a lot knowledge in there heads but they are not afraid to used it¡¯ That kind of ¡°NERVOUS and FEAR FACTOR¡± would totally not helpful.

So why is that kids had only small amount of knowlegde?  Because there learning English language is not enough. They are only have minor amount of confidence. So they need to start speaking, not only to memorized but they need to exercise talking and talking english.

Young students need more confidence, if the confidence will raise then their knowledge will increase too.

Korean elementary students thinks that English is some kind of a mystery.

So in Elementary School should be fun, like Games, Songs, Story and playings.Its like when you are teaching a babies, first you should teach songs, games..etc..Then if they know that english is fun, then they will become interested to learn english.

The best way to learn proper pronunciation;

People can easily pick up by pronunciation. Little kid is not easy to know about the proper grammar because grammar is kind of an abstract concept. But adults we know the concept of grammar because we are familiar of it. So pronounciation aspects are more difficult. The only thing we can do is find a strategy on how it is work.

One good example is SHADOWING. And most students don¡¯t get used of this. Shadowing is really effective. What is this Shadowing all about?  Example if you listening there words that they are learning. Like try to listen to an audio that reading on the book, you try to imitate that voice. If you try exercise it again and again it is effective.

There are such a group variety of greetings. For example Students to Professor. You will use ¡°Hi¡± if you greet a person with your similar position or similar age. Or if you are very close to the person.

Good morning / Good evening is a safe way of greetings rather than ¡°hi¡±

Freshmen/ Students never ever call the professor in their first name. They should use the Family name or the title which is professor Rodowick.

[ÀÌ °Ô½Ã¹°Àº master´Ô¿¡ ÀÇÇØ 2013-02-22 14:26:59 President in motion¿¡¼­ º¹»ç µÊ]

what's new
   icfw ½Å±¤¿­È¸Àå Shin k Yul attended¡¦
   icfw ½Å±¤¿­È¸Àå Shin K Yul attended¡¦
   icfw ½Å±¤¿­È¸Àå Attended 45th Anniv¡¦
   2024 Jan 5th, º§¶ó·ç½º´ë»ç°ü Á¤Åë T¡¦
   icfw shin k yul attended the memory¡¦
  memorable moment...
   icfw ½Å±¤¿­È¸ÀåÀÌ ¸»ÇÏ´Â Á¹¾÷½ÄÀÇ ¡¦ (257)
   ½Å±¤¿­È¸Àå( plan in 2017 for Lady T¡¦ (196)
   2015 ´Ù¹®È­°¡Á· ¼ºÅºÀý Çà»ç (ÀÎõ´ä¡¦ (26)
   ¿À´ÃÀº Çѱ۳¯ÀÔ´Ï´Ù icfw ½Å±¤¿­È¸¡¦ (284)
   ½Å±¤¿­ ȸÀå, ´Ù¹®È­»çȸ ¹ßÀü À§ÇØ ¡¦
  PPCWC
   A message from the ICFW Chairman on¡¦
   icfw½Å±¤¿­È¸Àå greeting to foreigne¡¦
   icfw½Å±¤¿­È¸Àå Happy Lunar New Year¡¦
   ¼­¿ïÇýÈ­µ¿ ·ÎÅ͸® ´Ù¹®È­ÀåÅÍ Multi¡¦
   Multicultural childern's the F¡¦
  Miss Korea & Miss IMS
   icfw Covid-19 Photo Theater : 50th ¡¦
   1st Miss IMS Pageant ( Multicultura¡¦
  ICFW & PPCWC Art Gallery